Previous week was full of Jelly Bean news and its features. Today we will tell you How to setup Google Now which is one of the most highlighted features of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. So what is Google Now and how to setup or configure it? Check out the answer below.
What is Google Now?
Few of my friends asked “Is Google Now just another Siri like personal virtual assistant created to beat the competition?”. Well answer for this question would be NO. Google Now is not just an application developed to answer your questions and support them through search results. In fact Google Now is a simple application to automate your life and make it easier in every respect.
Google Now tells you the weather before even before you are going to step out of your house. It tells you how much traffic to expect on street while going to office, when can you get next train while you are there on platform or flight info while you are on airport. Amazingly Google Now tells all these things automatically in the form of cards which appear throughout the day whenever you need them.
How to Setup Google Now
How to setup Google Now is not a very hard question. So let’s begin with our simple tips.
To setup Google Now, first of all launch the application. Google Now can be launched either from lock screen by swiping towards the Google icon or by swiping up from any of your soft keys. You can also press in and swipe up the back arrow, home key and recent key.
If you are launching Google Now for the first time then I would suggest tapping through the welcome screen setup.
Scroll down and then tap on 3 dots (menu button) present in the bottom right corner. Once you tap the 3 dots (menu button) it will launch Google Now/Voice Search Settings. Here tap on Google Now to customize your cards.
If you wish then you can also view some sample cards and configure them from Google Now home screen. For this, you just need to scroll down to the bottom and then tap on “Show sample cards”.
If you don’t want to customize now and just want to get a feel of Google Now then you can always leave the settings to default. Once you are done setting up cards, you need to fill them with some data. For this you can use Voice Search and then search for your favourite sports team, weather, restaurant or anything related to the sample cards which you saw.
If you want to get benefitted at fullest then head back to Google Now settings and tap on Privacy accounts. You will find that by default all of the settings are enabled.
Tap on Manage Location Settings which will take you to the Map settings. For best results, check the option for “Enable Location History”.
To enable Google Now in identifying your work and home address correctly, go to Location History and there you will get the option to configure your home and work locations.
So your Google Now is now configured and ready to show you some cards. You will start getting cards for weather, work/home distance and possibly for other locations. If you are interested in any other cards then use Voice Search as told previously; this will help Google Now to understand that you are interested in those cards also. Google Now will keep on gathering information as soon as you put new information into it.
Google Now Tips and Tricks
- Cards once closed or swiped away from Google Now or notifications are not gone. They reappear as soon as the data for that card changes.
- To make the cards reappear, just tap the menu icon at Google Now and then tap on refresh button. If you still face the problem then toggle Google Now switch off, reboot your device and then re-enable it. Anyhow, you will hardly opt for this method.
- In your calendar just add locations and then you will see Google Now will notify you when to leave so as to arrive on time.
- By enabling web history immensely improves Google Now functionality. You can control its setting from this page – www.google.com/dashboard
Google Now is a beautiful creation by Google dev team. Although at this point of time we won’t say that it’s perfect because there is always room for improvements but it is definitely helpful. We are sure after reading this tutorial, you now know how to setup Google Now and related tips tricks. If you think we have left any of the tip then do share with us through comments.
- google now tutorial,HOW TO SET UP GOOGLE NOW,enable google now,google now settings,google now setup,set up google now,how to setup google now,how to enable google now,setup google now,setting up google now,what is google now,how do i get google now,google now how to,configure google now,google now set up,google now manual,google now gather flightinfo,setting up cards google now s4,google now configuration,google now,open mic for google now gebrauchsanweisung,google now setting apps,My home button still swipes to google now,how to setting google now,how to put google now weather on home screen,Google Now how to enable,google now/settings,GOOGLE NOW TIPS AND TRICKS,add a card for a location google now